- Regarding COVID-19 (17-Mar-2020 | 15:54h)
Please take 5 minutes to listen. The transcript is below with relevant hyperlinks. Thanks Guys!
First off, guys, I wanna thank each of you for respecting the community policies and procedures surrounding scheduling - 48 hours for booking and 24 hours for cancellation. Your adherence to these guidelines and other stipulations of the Code of Conduct and our Core Values — which are in place for the mutual benefit of all members in our community — are greatly appreciated and truly demonstrate your care and respect for those who sweat, push and train shoulder-to-shoulder with you in our safe space.
Without question these can be scary times. The measures being undertaken to contain the spread and transmission of the COVID-19 virus are truly unprecedented. I choose however, not to view them as such. I for one, am excited. To me, within every challenge there exists an opportunity for exponential growth. When we … <pause> … < BREATHE > (go ahead, & do it now with me) … and take the time to think creatively in respect to solutions, we can — and often will — find a way that may not have otherwise been as evident prior to our taking a beat to collect our full self and BE PRESENT in an effort to gain some much needed perspective.
During these times know that:
- We hold space for you.
- We honour your individual fitness journey.
- We are here to help you.
- We are here to support you.
- We are here to be of service to you.
Out of respect for — and, in recognition of — the diversity of each of your individual needs during this time, we have devised a comprehensive strategy in respect to the provision of our service during the COVID-19 viral pandemic which is as follows:
1) If you have to ask the question, you already know the answer. Meaning, if you ask me whether you should stay home or come in to train, I will tell you to stay away.
2) We have taken steps to increase our vigilance and frequency of practices around the general cleaning of the facility and equipment. To this end, we ask that you continue to do your part by wiping down your mats and equipment after each use. Actually, to backtrack, even before starting your training evolution, we ask that you wash your hands for a minimum of 20 seconds to further decrease the likelihood of the transmission of the virus. By washing your hands thoroughly and cleaning and disinfecting the equipment used during our training evolutions it will substantially decrease the chance for transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
3) Virtual portals. Use the WhatsApp group to lean on our community. We are stronger together. Post questions, share resources and information, share funny memes, encourage one another, support one another - be of service to each other. You’re not just accountable to me. In sharing your unique voice through this gateway you, in turn, empower others. You are letting them know that; although they may choose to self-isolate, they are far from alone.
4) Virtual training evolutions. Please use the calendar to book in virtual training evolutions at your discretion if you are self-isolating. Technology has given us an unprecedented access to one another through the development of applications such as: FaceTime, Google Hangouts and WhatsApp. Let’s use them to stay connected!
Book into the calendar during time slots where people are not scheduled in the gym and add a little (V) so that I know that you are looking for a virtual training evolution - other than that, all of the same scheduling policies apply. When we connect via WhatsApp, I will design a personal program for you, on-the-spot, based on how you feel and what equipment we have available to us to conduct the training evolution. Training evolutions will still be an hour. Easy-peazy, lemon-squeezy.
5) Per the above …the gym will remain open until is legislatively mandated that we cannot. Don’t be an asshole. Refer to #1 …if you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.
And, if you do end up transmitting COVID-19 to me and I die as a result …I will fucking haunt you to the ends of the earth and for all eternity.
Guys, keep a level head. Stay calm. Breathe. Laugh. Be a source of light to those around you. Let your strength be an example. If you need a strong anchor to which you can moor yourself; refer to our Code of Ethics. Let that serve as equal part inspiration and guide. In closing, I again want to thank you each, for taking the responsibility and ownership over your individual part in helping to protect our community.
If you have any questions, concerns, comments or necessity for further clarity please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly via my email at:
… Deuces Up … Captain Your Ship.
Update (24-Mar-2020 | 11:18h):
We would like to take this opportunity to thank each of you for your continued support of the Sailor Jacks brand and community through these uncertain times. Your enthusiasm for virtual training and willingness to place your trust into best practices that we establish around real-world, in-person, physical training evolutions are greatly, greatly appreciated.
Since our last update, just over a week ago, we have decided, in the best interest of all parties involved, to close the doors to Sailor Jacks Performance Centre until such a time that it is again safe to operate without concern of posing a potential threat of being a vector of transmission for this virus to you or those you love by extension.
Since the B.C. Government has yet to officially rule on whether or not to lockdown or shutter all non-essential services¹. We have opted to still organize group training evolutions at Stetson Stadium, behind Lord Tweedsmuir Secondary, on the Cloverdale Rodeo Fair Grounds. Now, we realize that this may seem a bit contradictory at first — assembling a group of people together, in lieu of practices of self-isolation — however, we can assure you that the Stetson Bowl provides an ideal environment in which to train while still adhering to guidelines around best practices to avoid the transmission and spread of COVID-19.
Worse case scenario, should aggressive quarantine practices like those employed by the states of Washington, New York and California — a “California Lockdown²” as-it-were — be enacted there are still provisions in place that allow for outdoor exercise to take place — and these are the practices that we intend to adopt and put into place.
Again, know that: regardless of what you choose to do during these times, in respect to your training and in the best interests of you and your loved ones we:
- Hold space for you.
- Honour your individual fitness journey.
- Are here to help.
- Are here to support you.
- And are here to be of service to you.
Should you choose to come and train in person please adhere to the following guidelines:
1) If you have to ask, you already know. If you or anyone you are in close contact with are experiencing any of the symptoms often associated with COVID-19³ , please see the hyperlink below for a checklist...STAY AWAY! Don't be an asshole.
2) Bring your own equipment: water bottle, gloves — either surgical, or full fingered gloves, hand sanitizer, towel, yoga mat, jump band and, if possible: kettlebell.
3) Maintain a safe perimeter of distance between yourself and other members of our community of no less than 2m at all times.
4) Come ready to sweat, work and have fun.
5) Per the above … Don’t be an asshole. Refer to #1 …if you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.
If you do not feel comfortable coming to train outdoors we will continue to offer training virtually through WhatsApp. Please adhere to the following guidelines in respect to the virtual training evolutions:
Please book into the calendar at time slots where people are not scheduled in the gym and add a little (V) so that we know that you are looking for a virtual training evolution. Priority will be given to first booking. Meaning that virtual training evolutions and in-person training evolutions cannot overlap. Whomever schedules first will be given priority. Other than that, all of the same scheduling policies apply. Thus far, it's been an awesome experience facilitating our online training evolutions.
Going into our second week of making these minor adjustments we are filled with optimism at what lies ahead for us all: better conditioning, better mobility, better grasp and understanding of our warm-up and core regimen and an increased appreciation for our facility and equipment itself – even more so than before. But, perhaps most importantly a better appreciation of – and for – our community and just how important and necessary it is that we connect with one another as human beings.
Stay safe, practice inner tranquility and welcome the unknown — it can be a source of excitement, opportunity and a catalyst to be fully present — fully alive in all of our senses — in the moment. And, as always, if you have any questions, concerns, comments or necessity for further clarity please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly via my email at:
Lastly, please help promote the Sailor Jacks brand through word of mouth and social media outlets such: as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – share your personal stories and experiences, you never know who you'll reach and who within your sphere of influence needs services that we provide ...especially during these times.
… Deuces Up … Captain Your Ship.
UPDATE (14/Apr/2020 | 11:00h):
From the top, thank you for your continued support and patronage during these past two weeks of continued self-isolation and social distancing. According to the Canadian Minister of Health – Theresa Tam, there is cause for conservative optimism as the infection curve is steadily dropping and the rate of recovery is steadily increasing. When Canada adopted widespread practices of self-isolation and social distancing, statistics that tracked the rate of infection illustrated that, for every individual who was infected with COVID-19 there was a potential risk for infection to another 10. Whereas now, a little over 1 month later, that ratio has dropped dramatically to 1:3 – a 70% decrease in the rate of infection simply from adopting practices that hypochondriac introverts have been doing for their entire life.
I digress. Below you will find a few studies to keep you occupied until the next update. Please feel free to peruse at your leisure as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has informed us that we are still to self-isolate and maintain practices of social distancing for another two weeks.
Theresa Tam, in addressing a return to "normal living" put it best anecdotally: ...'we must be cautious as we return to regular life – a return to everyday normalcy must be navigated like walking down a mountain side in the complete darkness of night – we must proceed with caution as one misstep could prove fatal.'
Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
… Deuces Up … Captain Your Ship.